Antivirus in FC3?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Wed Mar 16 08:36:41 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 00:45 -0700, Craig White wrote:

[Learn to snip, guy!]

> ----
> You have an anti-Microsoft bent

    Ah, you read my sig.

> I don't wish to get into any such discussion with you or anyone else.

    Yet you decided to reply?

> You are COMPLETELY WRONG when you say that 'Actually Linux is borne from
> the notion that we're sick of Microsoft's antics'
>
> Linux was borne by a computer student in Finland who was trying to build
> a minix type kernel that would run on the 80386 processor - check your
> facts. Or if facts aren't what you are after, then check your premises -
> Linux kernel was developed before Windows had anything useful to offer.

    Yeah, what were most machines running then? OS/2? Vax? AIX? Not on
any of the desktops I was maintaining; MS-DOS, IBM-DOS and DR/DOS. It
wasn't a minix-type kernel, it was minix.  He wanted the good tools of
Unix, but once they added the GNU things and it got noticed, people
found an alternative to both SunOS and DOS. Then Windows.  But despite
actual company labels, it's a response to companies that eventually
leave end-users out of the loop, refusing some fixes while they plow
ahead with new technologies that are hoped lucrative.

    And no, I pretty much have the facts; what I'm after is change.

> I continue to find problems with your premises, your analysis and
> conclusions.
>
> Computers are a tool - not a mission. If it is your mission to use Linux
> to replace Microsoft, then that is your mission, NOT Linux's mission.
> There are likely to be other people that share your absurd notion that
> Linux is the anti-Microsoft but it is an alternative to proprietary
> software, nothing more.

    Right.  So I'm surrounded by people using hammers to take off
lugwrenches while they curse the things.  What am I supposed to say?
It's not here to replace Windows, but I will take immense pleasure in
that- it's here to replace everything.  And on the way, we just might
see an end to the x86 architecture.

> Every time the 'boss' says, "We need new servers" I DON'T suggest
> Fedora. Fedora's life cycle is way too short to seriously consider it
> for server use. I would choose RHEL, RHEL clones, Gentoo, or Debian long
> before I would suggest Fedora for server usage.

    Well, sure...pick a Linux.  Any linux. Though on the Fedora list
it'd seem polite to pick something from Redhat.

> And lastly - you would do well to lose your fixation on Microsoft. They
> are a successful corporation doing what every successful corporation
> would do if they could - dominate and monopolize. There are some who
> believe that Red Hat would do the same thing if they could. There are
> some who resent the notion that some people think Red Hat IS Linux -
> which is most certainly is not.

    Isn't this the behavior we all abhore?  Doesn't it then follow to do
something about it?

    I've wasted many years of my life setting them up in business and
now they've not only ruined a product with potential, they've stalled
the entire marketplace for about 10 years.  When was the last time they
'innovated'?  And I don't mean stealing IE from Spyglass or MS-SQL from
Sybase.  I mean really innovated something. NT?  Venture capital is
stalled because if it's a hit, Microsoft will steal it or otherwise
put'em out of business.  So, little is getting done, outside Linux.

    I take the long view.  Maybe you don't remember a time before
viruses; back when computers were made, not bought. Like when Kilobaud
Computing ran a story in 1985 with the cover of "CP/M: the OS that
wouldn't die?"  I was there the day they announced Windows 3.1.  3.0
bombed, but I could see what they were going for.  I ranted that people
should buy the stock, and I guess I should have sold my car.  It went
from something like $50->$149 in 48 hours- it was like a fire sale.

    I've put up with decades of computer problems.  Life's too short to
keep fixing ones that are invented. And thus, why I'm here.

--
Those who entrust life and limb to Microsoft deserve neither. -Me, 2005
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad