Using yum to update livna nvidia packages?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Mar 16 08:50:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 21:28 +0000, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-15 at 21:02 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > What's happening is this:
>
> Paul, thanks for helping out. You may well be right, but let me just
> give you my reasoning on the issue:
>
> > You currently have kernel-module-
> > nvidia-2.6.10-1.770_FC3-1.0.6629-0.lvn.6.3 and nvidia-
> > glx-1.0.6629-0.lvn.6.3 installed. The kernel module, being a kernel
> > module, is only ever installed, not upgraded, by yum.
>
> But yum lists it as an available update! The kernel modules have a name
> which includes the kernel version they are a module for, and they have a
> version number:
>
> kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.10-1.770_FC3-1.0.6629-0.lvn.6.3
>
> is
>
> version no	1.0.6629-0.lvn.6.3
>
> of
>
> package		kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.10-1.770_FC3

Agreed.

> > So when a new version comes out, the old one is still kept by yum.
>
> I could be imagining this, but I am sure I have upgraded using yum in
> the past. Now if a new kernel comes out then a new package called
> kernel-module-nvidia-<kernel-name> will become available, and *that*
> needs to be installed alongside any modules already installed for older
> kernels. But,
>
> kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.10-1.770_FC3-1.0.7167-0.lvn.1.3
>
> is just a newer version (1.0.7167-0.lvn.1.3) of an already installed
> package:
>
> kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.10-1.770_FC3

The key difference here is that what you have done before is install a
new package for a new kernel, based on the same underlying nvidia module
version. So you can have multiple kernel-module-nvidia packages
installed, one for each kernel, all depending on one matching nvidia-glx
package.

What's happening now is that there is a new version of the nvidia
module, which means that you need a new version of the kernel module for
each of your installed kernels and a new version of nvidia-glx. Since (I
think) there can only be one version of nvidia-glx installed at once,
this means that all the updates need to be done in a single rpm
transaction, and yum can't do that because it doesn't want to remove the
older version of the kernel modules. That's why it's behaving
differently this time.

> > However, doing that would break the existing kernel-module-
> > nvidia-2.6.10-1.770_FC3-1.0.6629-0.lvn.6.3 module, which requires
> > nvidia-glx-1.0.6629-0.lvn.6.3.
>
> No. It should just upgrade the existing kernel-module! (At least that is
> what I think it should, and what I thought it used to do. I might be
> wrong on the last point.)

What it used to do was install a *new* kernel module for a new kernel.

> Note, when a new kernel comes out and the nvidia kernel module is
> rebuilt for it yum (correctly) does not list it as an update. You have
> to check for its availability with "yum list available kernel-module-
> nvidia-*", and then yum install it when it becomes available. That's
> exactly right, and what you have described above. The kernel module
> under discussion is a newer version of an existing kernel module, and
> yum does indeed list it as an available update:
>
> $ sudo yum list updates
> [snip]
> Updated Packages
> kernel-module-nvidia-2.6.10-1.770_FC3.i6 1.0.7167-0.lvn.1.3     livna-testing
> nvidia-glx.i586                          1.0.7167-0.lvn.1.3     livna-testing
>
> Do you see how I have reasoned myself into suspecting that there is
> either a packaging bug or a yum bug here? As I said, maybe I'm just
> missing some fundamental thing here, but I'm not quite sure what ...

Do you see it now?

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>