USB hotplugging and data loss....

Irving, Dave Dave.Irving at logicacmg.com
Wed Mar 16 09:07:00 UTC 2005

> not that I can really explain what happend to your USBstick ...
> What I do to prevent data loss on the stick is, I use sync and then
unmount it
> via umount /media/usbdisk Could you try this out?!

I've just tested this a few times and it worked every time!
>From the produced logs, things certainly seem to be a lot happier doing
it this way too:

[logs after "sync; umount /media/REMOVABLE"]
Mar 16 08:59:32 trinity kernel: usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 10
Mar 16 08:59:33 trinity fstab-sync[16146]: removed mount point
/media/REMOVABLE for /dev/sdc1

Thanks very much for your advice - its really going to save me a lot of
headaches!

> Alex

Dave