httpd trouble

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Wed Mar 16 11:48:44 UTC 2005

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> OK, I've given up on running it on fat32 ... but the problems are still
> here...
>
> I'm still getting a '403 Forbidden' message plus 'Additionally, a 403
> Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to
> handle the request.'
>
> The error log says:
> [Wed Mar 16 08:43:34 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] (13)Permission
> denied: access to / denied
>
> Even index.html doesn't show up! WTF! I've set the directory to 777,
> I've edited httpd.conf as follows:

Duncan,

the message "403 Forbidden" means that its definitely a permissions
problem with the directory where you're attempting to serve pages
"from". According to your config file apache is running as user "apache"
and group "apache". so, the DocumentRoot and everything beneath it
should be owned by apache.apache.

	chown -Rvf apache.apache /home/dulithgow/www

then, your permissions settings, while set to more than necessary at the
moment, should be set to 755, or to be more precise:

	all directories: 755
	.html files    : at least 644
                          755 preferably
	cgi-bin dirs   : 755 # if being used
	cgi progs      : 755

Add the following line to your config "if" you wish to be able to
execute <?php ?> code embedded inside an HTML document.

find:

# If the AddEncoding directives above are commented-out, then you
# probably should define those extensions to indicate media types:
#
AddType application/x-compress .Z
AddType application/x-gzip .gz .tgz

add:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .html

should look like this when done:
# If the AddEncoding directives above are commented-out, then you
# probably should define those extensions to indicate media types:
#
AddType application/x-compress .Z
AddType application/x-gzip .gz .tgz
AddType application/x-httpd-php .html
<<<<<<<<<<<<

Add the following line if to enable .pl scripts outside the "root"
cgi-bin directory:

find and uncomment:
#AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

add:
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
AddHandler cgi-script .pl

apart from that your apache config file looks normal. but the 403
messages means permissions to read the directory and/or its contents are
not allowed because of file permissions.

--
Mark