folders in /tmp are missing

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Wed Mar 16 12:41:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, March 14, 2005 4:35 pm, Hongwei Li said:

>> On Mon, March 14, 2005 2:22 pm, Rahul Sundaram said:
>>> Hi

>>> No.  these are temporary files and you need not worry about them at
>>> all. they are periodically cleaned up using tmpwatch and a cron job
>>
>> That's not entirely accurate.  lost+found is usually found when you
>> create
>> and mount a filesystem at a particular mount point.  It's where "found"
>> data is placed during an fsck.
>>
>> The question, for Rahul, is this:  Did you create a separate filesystem
>> for /tmp, and is it mounted?  From your description, I'd say that you
>> need
>> to:
>>
>> A) Mount /tmp
>> B) Add /tmp to your /etc/fstab file, so that it's mounted on your next
>> reboot.
>>
>> --
>> Mike Burger
>> http://www.bubbanfriends.org
>>

> Hi Mike,
>
> The question was actually asked by me.  The partition /tmp was created
> during the initial installation of fc3 system, and, of cause, it was and
> is mounted.  It wasn't empty until I ran up2date to update some packages.
> I can't say which package update caused this "problem", but I "accidently"
> found it became empty after then. Here is my current fstab:
>
> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> LABEL=/1                /                       ext3    defaults        1
> 1
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0
> 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0
> 0
> LABEL=/home1            /home                   ext3    defaults,usrquota
>       1 2
> LABEL=/opt              /opt                    ext3    defaults        1
> 2
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0
> 0
> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0
> 0
> LABEL=/tmp1             /tmp                    ext3    defaults        1
> 2
> LABEL=/usr1             /usr                    ext3    defaults        1
> 2
> LABEL=/var1             /var                    ext3    defaults,usrquota
>       1 2
>
> The system log does not show any message related to /tmp, "good" or "bad".
>
> When I try to umount /tmp, it says:
>
> # umount /tmp
> umount: /tmp: device is busy
> umount: /tmp: device is busy
>
> I restarted the system several times, /tmp is still empty.
> Any idea why /tmp could "lose" all of its folders?  Do I need to "fix" it?
>
> Thanks!

The only thing I might suggest, if your /tmp is a mounted filesystem and
is empty, is to check your tmpwatch settings.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit