OT: give advice to MSAccess user

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Mar 16 13:49:35 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 03:55, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> Hi there, it's not me that uses Access but a charity I work with
> http://dib.dk . I've volunteered to update/ repair their membership
> database - currently MSAccess. After hearing so many bad things about it
> I've said i won't use it any longer than is absolutely necessary.
>
> So, I need a replacement. MySQL seems the obvious replacement - but what
> about a good front-end. That's what I need help with. I've not had much
> luck searching google/ sourceforge yet...
>
> all suggestions welcome
>
> Duncan
> PS: I'm currently playing with OpenOffice2.0beta - it has a database
> system built in - don't know how good it is yet.

I don't know if there is a front end for MySQl or not.

You may want to take a look at Postgresql as well.  I know there is the
pgadmin3 front end that you can use with Postgresql.  That may give you
just what you need.

However, if I was tasked with such a job I would most likely utilize
Postgresql and use PHP to develop a front end for a membership
database.  I have found that combination to be very powerful and fairly
easy to develop.  The big benefit is that the front end is computer
agnostic and immediately network ready.

And personally I still don't care for the licensing terms that MySQL
imposes.  Any business planning to use MySQL must carefully evaluate the
license conditions.  As I read it companies are compelled to purchase a
license.  Where as Postgresql has no restrictions on how or where you
use their database.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

I do not fear computers.  I fear the lack of them.
		-- Isaac Asimov