Linux and windows install

Francois Massonneau frmas at free.fr
Wed Mar 16 13:35:12 UTC 2005

Le Mercredi 16 Mars 2005 10:46, Paul Howarth a écrit :
> Francois wrote:
> >>
> >>The MBR. This will make sure that Grub is the first thing you see upon
> >>booting, so that you can select which OS you want to start.
> >>
> >>All in all, I'd recommend this: Make the 40 GB hD the primary master and
> >>the 80 GB HD the primary slave (or better secondary master) on your IDE
> >>bus. First install Windows on the 40 GB thingy, then - after this is
> >>working - install Fedora on the 80 GB drive. Let Grub install itself
> >>into the MBR and everything should work fine.
> >
> > I did that, but I did a mistake :-(
> >
> > I've install Win XP on the first HD, then FC3 on the second HD, but when
> > I replied to install the bootloader, instead of putting it on the MBR of
> > the FIRST HD, I put it on the MBR of the second one, where Linux is just
> > installed ;-(
> > I should have choosen the MBR of the first HD.
> > Now how do I do erase the MBR on the second HD, then reinstall the boot
> > loader on the MBR of the first HD ?
> >
> > I've tried to restart a new install of linux. Then I 've asked to put the
> > boot loader on the first hd, but it gave me nothing. I guess I should do
> > that from linux. ??
>
> Boot using the rescue CD, get to the command prompt and then run:
>
> # chroot /mnt/sysimage
> # grub-install /dev/hda

;-(
I did that, but before, I would like to understand something.
this system is not scsi at all.
when I booted using the rescue disk, I did a "fdisk -l" and from there, I saw
the following output :
disk /dev/hda - 40 gigas
and there /dev/hda1, hda2, etc...
and :
Disk /dev/sda 160 gigas
I don't understand this "sda", instead of "hdb".
Once there, I did what you said, but as windows is install on the 160 gigas
HD, I typed :
grub-install /dev/sda
I've got :
no error reported,
This device map was generated by anaconda.
(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/hda
(hd1) /dev/sda
I've tried to reboot, and all I get is :
GRUB
and nothing else. the system stays that way with just the word "grub".
i've tried with the boot sequence from the bios to switch the first hd to
boot, but once again, same message : "GRUB" and nothing else.
I'm totally lost, and don't know what to do, to recover my two operating
systems.

Help would be greatly appreciated ;-)
Thanks. Francois