Linux and windows install

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Mar 16 14:57:17 UTC 2005

Francois Massonneau wrote:
> Le Mercredi 16 Mars 2005 10:46, Paul Howarth a écrit :
>
>>Francois wrote:

>>>I did that, but I did a mistake :-(
>>>
>>>I've install Win XP on the first HD, then FC3 on the second HD, but when
>>>I replied to install the bootloader, instead of putting it on the MBR of
>>>the FIRST HD, I put it on the MBR of the second one, where Linux is just
>>>installed ;-(
>>>I should have choosen the MBR of the first HD.
>>>Now how do I do erase the MBR on the second HD, then reinstall the boot
>>>loader on the MBR of the first HD ?
>>>
>>>I've tried to restart a new install of linux. Then I 've asked to put the
>>>boot loader on the first hd, but it gave me nothing. I guess I should do
>>>that from linux. ??
>>
>>Boot using the rescue CD, get to the command prompt and then run:
>>
>># chroot /mnt/sysimage
>># grub-install /dev/hda
>

> ;-(
> I did that, but before, I would like to understand something.
> this system is not scsi at all.
> when I booted using the rescue disk, I did a "fdisk -l" and from there, I saw
> the following output :
> disk /dev/hda - 40 gigas
> and there /dev/hda1, hda2, etc...
> and :
> Disk /dev/sda 160 gigas
> I don't understand this "sda", instead of "hdb".

Is your 160GB drive an SATA drive? Linux treats these as SCSI disks
rather than IDE disks.

> Once there, I did what you said, but as windows is install on the 160 gigas
> HD, I typed :
> grub-install /dev/sda
> I've got :
> no error reported,
> This device map was generated by anaconda.
> (fd0) /dev/fd0
> (hd0) /dev/hda
> (hd1) /dev/sda
> I've tried to reboot, and all I get is :
> GRUB
> and nothing else. the system stays that way with just the word "grub".
> i've tried with the boot sequence from the bios to switch the first hd to
> boot, but once again, same message : "GRUB" and nothing else.
> I'm totally lost, and don't know what to do, to recover my two operating
> systems.

If sda is the device that your system is booting from, your BIOS
probably considers it to be the "first" drive, and so your device map is
wrong, and should read:

(fd0) /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/hda

You should be able to boot from the rescue CD and do:

# chroot /mnt/sysimage
# vi /boot/grub/device.map
(fix the device.map using your favourite editor)
# grub-install /dev/sda

Paul.