FTP help needed

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Mar 16 16:13:26 UTC 2005

Claude Jones wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:

>>> Thanks, Paul. I just tried this, and it looks like I've got to open
>>> Port 22 on the firewall. Do you know if sftp can be used from say
>>> NVU, to publish a site?
>>

>> I don't *think* nvu supports sftp at the moment.
>>
> Perhaps I'm missing a better paradigm, here. I like the idea of more
> secure FTP. My old paradigm is to use a web authoring program, such as
> NVU (I'm used to GoLive from that other world), to create and manage the
> local iteration of a site. When done, publish. For small sites,
> uploading pages one at a time as completed, or in small batches, is
> fine. Is that what you suggest?

Ideally the authoring program would support sftp directly so that it
could upload changed pages to the server. Quanta Plus can do this, and
is included in the kdewebdev package in FC3.

Alternatively, you could maintain a local copy of the site and then use
an intelligent ftp client like lftp to synchronise the version on the
web server. lftp can also use the sftp protocol.

Paul.