FAM, the File Alteration Monitor

Bill McCormick wpmccormck at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 16 16:28:16 UTC 2005

What does the group recommend for FAM on FC3?

I'm trying to get the IDLE working on courier-imap and it seems to need
a FAM.

I installed FAM from source with no errors, and am starting it from
xinetd but still netstat is littered with many ...

unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14115  @/tmp/fam-vpopmail-
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14114  @/tmp/fam-vpopmail-
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14111  @/tmp/fam-vpopmail-
unix  2      [ ]         STREAM     CONNECTED     14109  @/tmp/fam-vpopmail-

When I eneable the required parameters in my /usr/local/etc/imap:

# IMPORTANT: IMAP_USELOCKS *MUST* also be set to 1, and IDLE must be
included
# in the IMAP_CAPABILITY list.
#
#
# DEFAULT SETTING from /usr/local/etc/imapd.dist:
#
IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE=0

I still have in my /var/log/maillog:

Mar 14 23:36:45 billinux imapd: FAMPending: timeout
Mar 14 23:36:45 billinux last message repeated 3 times

as well as the numerous @/tmp/fam-vpopmail- stream sockets.

Thanks in advance for any help.