CD support

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 17 00:02:37 UTC 2005

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:48:39 -0700
"JOHN H DURRANT" <durrantj at msn.com> wrote:

> I am running Fedora Core 3 and can't get my CD to play music.  It reads
> data files (photos) just fine but the CD Play and grip both won't
> recognize it even though the icon that appears on the desktop says
> 'Audio CD'.  Any thoughts of where I should start looking?

First, by "won't recognize" do you mean that you get errors trying to play
the CDs?  (If so, what are the errors?)  Do the tracks show up and appear
to be playing but you get no sound?  We need more information here to be
able to help.

If the CDs appear to be playing in grip and the gnome CD player, but you
just don't hear anything, here are some things to try:
* Check (using alsamixer) that the CD audio channel isn't muted or turned
all the way down.  be aware that on some setups, the CD might actually be
connected to "Aux" instead of "CD" (it's that way on my Thinkpad).  Before
moving on, just try playing with the sliders while a CD is playing and see
if you hear anything. :)
* If you still hear nothing, check and make sure there's an audio cable
running from the CD drive to the sound card.  If not, you either need a
cable or (I hear) an XMMS plugin to play the digital audio through your
sound card.  If there IS a cable there, check and make sure it's plugged
in securely.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry instructor / Mad scientist / Linux enthusiast!