Adding keyboard layouts in GNOME

Francois Ouellette fouellet at idirect.com
Thu Mar 17 03:21:09 UTC 2005

Hello gang,

When I add a keyboard layout using the keyboard layout tool from the
"preferences" menu in FC3 I get an error in a popup which asks to report
the
problem with the output of (shown here):

xprop -root | grep XKB :

_XKB_RULES_NAMES_BACKUP(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us,ca_enhanced", ",",
"grp:alt_shift_toggle"
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xorg", "pc105", "us", "", "grp:alt_shift_toggle"

gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb :

layouts = [us,ca_enhanced      basic]
 model = pc105
 overrideSettings = false
 options = [grp grp:alts_toggle]
 update_handlers = []

also the Xorg.0.log file contains the error
(EE) Error loading keymap /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/server-0.xkm

Effectively there are no files in the  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled
directory.

If I try to configure a keyboard entry in xorg.conf following the
instructions in the  /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/compiled/README.config file I
get an error when the desktop comes up, and a message asking if I want to
use X or GNOME keyboard definition.

Can anyone give me a few tips on how to configure additional keyboard
layouts under GNOME?

I do not see the "keyboard applet" I can add in the top panel tool, only
the keyboard indicator...

Thanks,

 François Ouellette
<fouellet at idirect.com>