Where is the script that does the automatic e2fsck's located?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Mar 17 11:23:27 UTC 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 06:03, Paul Howarth wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings, the subject says it all.
>>
>> When the number of boots has excceded the set value for a
>> partition, and this forces an e2fsck run, it works fine for
>> /dev/hda based partitions, but runs totally silent for /dev/hdd
>> based partitions.
>>
>> I'd like to see if I can fix that so I don't think the machine is
>> locked while its doing that and all screen output ceases for the
>> 5+ minutes it takes to check a 180GB partition.
>
>It's /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
>
>e2fsck decides for itself if it needs to do the check; that's not
> done by the script.
>
>Paul.

No wonder I couldn't find it Paul.  You can grep for e2fsck in
rc.sysinit, and never come up with the actual command line that does
that.  Is e2fsck itself a binary or a script that could be easily
fixed?

I've mentioned this before, can a bug be filed against e2fsck then?
In which case I'll let someone with patience for that broken interface
bugzilla uses actually do the fileing of it.  Lifes too short as it
is to spend all that time doing useless searches for duplicates it
requires (but never finds) before you can actually *get* to the file
a bug screens.  Once, maybe twice, should be sufficient.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)