Secure attention key for Linux login...

Kevin Cowtan cowtan at ysbl.york.ac.uk
Thu Mar 17 11:44:11 UTC 2005

Hi!

I'm worried about the possibility of spoofing login screens under
Fedora to grab passwords. This has been addressed by the kernel
developers a long time between 1996 and 2001, but doesn't appear to
be set up, at least in FC2 (unless the key sequence is not
ctrl-alt-pause).

For more information, see these pages:
http://lwn.net/2001/0322/a/SAK.php3
http://www.linux.com/howtos/Secure-Programs-HOWTO/trusted-path.shtml

The kernel code is in the tree:
grep SAK /usr/src/linux-2.6.5-1.358/drivers/char/keyboard.c

Is there an easy way to enable this under Fedora, or will I need to
recompile the kernel?

Thanks,
Kevin Cowtan

--
Structural Biology Laboratory, University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK