Where is the script that does the automatic e2fsck's located?

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 13:22:09 UTC 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 05:56 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings, the subject says it all.
>
> When the number of boots has excceded the set value for a partition,
> and this forces an e2fsck run, it works fine for /dev/hda based
> partitions, but runs totally silent for /dev/hdd based partitions.
>
> I'd like to see if I can fix that so I don't think the machine is
> locked while its doing that and all screen output ceases for the 5+
> minutes it takes to check a 180GB partition.
> .
> --
> Cheers, Gene
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> 99.34% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
> Yahoo.com and AOL/TW attorneys please note, additions to the above
> message by Gene Heskett are:
> Copyright 2005 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.
The proper program for setting automatic checks at boot is tune2fs.

E2FSCK(8)

NAME
       e2fsck - check a Linux ext2/ext3 file system

SYNOPSIS
       e2fsck [ -pacnyrdfkvstDFSV ] [ -b superblock ] [ -B blocksize ] [ -l|-L
bad_blocks_file
       ] [ -C fd ] [ -j external-journal ] [ -E extended_options ] device

DESCRIPTION  e2fsck is used to check a Linux second extended file system
(ext2fs).  E2fsck also supports  ext2  filesystems  countaining a journal,
which are also sometimes known as ext3 filesystems, by first applying the
journal to the  filesystem  before  continuing  with normal  e2fsck
processing.  After the journal has been applied, a filesystem will normally
be marked as clean.  Hence, for ext3 filesystems, e2fsck will  normally  run
the journal and exit, unless its superblock indicates that further checking
is required.

Device is the device file where the filesystem is stored (e.g.  /dev/hdc1).

--
John H Ludwig