Acrobat Reader

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 17 13:28:16 UTC 2005

Paul Almquist wrote:
> What are your thoughts on where it should be placed?  According to the
> File system Hierarchy Standard 2.3 (http://www.pathname.com/fhs) it seems
> there are 2 possibilities:
>
> /usr/local : Local hierarchy
<snip>
> or
> ===============
> /opt : Add-on application software packages
<snip>

Then there's Red Hat's traditional approach. See, for example, the end
of
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-6.1-Manual/ref-guide/ch-sysadmin.html

Briefly, RPM-installed software should go in /usr (and /var etc.), and
other software should go in /usr/local.

# Since system upgrades from Red Hat are done safely with the RPM system
# and Gnome-RPM , you don't need to protect files by putting them in
# /usr/local.

RPMs may get automatically installed. An RPM that puts stuff in
/usr/local is liable to over-write stuff that was put there some other
way, without the administrator being particularly aware that this
happened.

/opt is left for the sysadmin to use as she or he wishes.

James.

--
E-mail address: james | "Bill Gates' School Report":
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | Every time you ask him to do something, he breaks down,