httpd trouble

Mark Weaver mdw1982 at mdw1982.com
Thu Mar 17 16:28:06 UTC 2005

Craig Thomas wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 10:47 -0500, Mark Weaver wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>using the php engine in this fashion I can embed small include
>>statements or an entire block of full blown php - what ever pleases me
>>or meets the need at the time and I'm not locked into making sure my
>>extensions are all .php.
>

> Sure, use what works for you :)
>
> My point was that passing all .html pages to the php engine adds some
> overhead.
>
> It may well be the solution that fits best, but it adds overhead for
> those pages that _do_not_ contain php code.  No way around that.  Maybe
> that total overhead is large or small, workable or not, that is to be
> judged in each situation.
>
> Just a question, what if your .html pages contain jsp? does php handle
> that gracefully? or, ehh gads!, asp code?

to be honest, I don't know. I wouldn't think it would since to the best
of my knowledge .jsp pages requires a different interpreter; kind of
like askin a French interpreter to interpret russian that doesn't speak
the language. ;) I would think you'd need something like TomCat to
handle .jsp pages. As for *gulp* .asp pages Apache does have the
capacity with the right mods installed and turned on to handle that, but
for the life of me I can understand why anyone would want to considering
there's a far better alternative - .jsp or php. Hell! I'd even be
willing to use embedded PERL before doing it in .asp.

I've seen embedded PERL and it just gives me a headache. I love PERL and
do a fair amount of programming in it, but the way they've implemented
embedded PERL just isn't for me. PHP is much easier on the mind and the
eyes.

Overhead? well... I suppose if one had a site that was using this
particular method that was averaging 1000 or so hits an hour and doing
some pretty fair backend processing such as a heavy traffic e-commerce
site one would very likely find themselves in the very place you're
suggesting. OTH, if that were the case I'd think the main parts of the
site would have been coded with that in mind or at least updated to at a
later date to handle that kind of traffic and processing needs.

At one time in the recent past I used this particular setup on a web
host that was host to 40+ domains - some of them averaging 300 hits an
hour. At the same time there were two sites on this host that used this
setup and were doing backend database processing to display the data
after some minor IO took place. We never saw a problem with it.

--
Mark