DNS Bind Zone Transfer problem (FC3 Vs Debian)

Flavio Borup borup at running.com.br
Thu Mar 17 17:13:00 UTC 2005

I have a FC3 Linux (Bind 9) and i´m trying to use a Debian 3 + Bind 8.2 as secondary DNS to do some tests.

(Later, in a few weeks, the secondary DNS will be a ISP´s DNS and the Debian will be deactivated)

FC3 Bind 9 run as chroot, but Debian Bind 8.2 does not.

The Zone transfer occurs only ONE time!! If i delete the zone file on the Debian Bind Secondary server, the zone transfers. But if some record changed on Primary, the zone does not transfer anymore...

If i try a dig @master zone.name AXFR the transfer occrus and the Log shows a successfull transfer
if i delete the zone file on secondary, change the zone file on master and restart bind on both servers, the zone  transfer is 100%. But if i change the zone file on master, restart master and try to restart slave to force transfer, the zone transfer not occur and do not show in the Master Log even an attempt of a transfer.

What i can do? What i can check? can i do a full debug on log, to trace the problem?
SOme people ask me to update the bind 8 to bind 9 (on the secondary), but i don~t wann mask the problem. Other guys told me to run bind 9 on Master not as chroot, but i will lower the security on the system...