Secure attention key for Linux login...

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 19:57:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 14:20:34 -0500, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 11:44:11AM +0000, Kevin Cowtan wrote:
>  > Hi!
>  >
>  > I'm worried about the possibility of spoofing login screens under
>  > Fedora to grab passwords. This has been addressed by the kernel
>  > developers a long time between 1996 and 2001, but doesn't appear to
>  > be set up, at least in FC2 (unless the key sequence is not
>  > ctrl-alt-pause).
>
> Either a)
>
> 1) make sure sysctl kernel.sysrq is 1
> 2) ctrl-alt-sysrq-K
>
> or b)
> add
>
> echo "control alt keycode 101 = SAK" | /bin/loadkeys
>
> to the end of /etc/rc.sysinit as described in the document you
> posted the link to.

I think a better solution would be to do this:

# echo "control alt keycoard 101 = SAK" | /bin/loadkeys
# dumpkeys > /etc/sysconfig/console/default.kmap

And allow the normal Fedora Core start up process to load your new
keymap file that is the same as the one you were using previously +
your change.

If you refer to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, you'll see that using
/etc/sysconfig/console/default.kmap is the preferred method of
modifying the keymap that's loaded at boot time.

I hope this helps.

--
Chris

"Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the rest of the night.  Set
a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."  -- Unknown