Linux is so cool!

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Thu Mar 17 20:13:44 UTC 2005

It would appear that on Mar 8, Gustavo Seabra did say:

> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:05:27 -0500, David Liguori <liguorid at albany.edu> wrote:
> > Doug Stewart wrote:

> > > This is just a guess, but I think Stephen was joking.
> > >
> > > At least, I _hope_ he was...
> > >
> > Well, if the guy is using KDE, last I checked, it might not be quite as obvious.  But my impression also is that he is yanking our chains.  The bit about not being asked to reboot sort of gives it away.
> >

> That's only true if you are using the KDE that comes with Fedora. If
> yoy upgrade it from the kde-redhat, and use KDM, when you click the
> "Logout" button it actually gives you the options:
>
> o Log Out
> o Turn Off
> o Restart
> ---
> o Cancel

I'm not an "expert" but I've been playing with fedora for a while now.
And one thing I'm sure of is that there are times when I might want to
shutdown my computer real fast. Just because my linux can [ and
sometimes does ] stay up for days or weeks doesn't mean it has to. It is
my personal pc to which no one is ever allowed to log in remotely. And
it is not used as any kind of server. So whether a thunderstorm causes
me to suddenly decided to close it down asap, or if I simply want to boot
one of my other linux partitions, {or even occasionally to (having
disabled the broadband connection to the internet) boot win98 or DrDos
(usually to play some old almost forgotten game )}, I will sometime want
to shut down or reboot. And Since I'm using the keyboard that's actually
attached to the durned thing I never need to take the time to login as
root to do so.

If I want a reboot And the gui is running, then the classic three fingered
salute "ctrl+alt+del" gets me a confirmation pop up where  a quick enter
(or a single click) will, (since I use startx to fire up x from run level
three), get me out of the gui. I get a smiler effect (only faster {no
confirmation pop-up) with "ctrl+alt+backspace"

Once the gui is out of the way  "ctrl+alt+del" will cause an immediate
shutdown -r.

But if I simply want to shut it down, the fastest clean shut down response
I've found so far, seams to work from any console or xterm.

At the bash prompt I simply type "powerdown"

It wastes no time on further input, But is shuts down so fast that you'd
think it knew my itchy hand was already caressing the switch on the
surge protector.

So far there have only been a couple of times that I was in such a hurry
that it didn't close down before I said fsck it and threw the switch.

   # gpg sig for: Joe (theWordy) Philbrook DSA key ID 6C2163DE #
   # You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/ #