How to use evolution-data-server?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Mar 17 20:45:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 21:19 +0100, Peter Boy wrote:

> Does someone know where I can find documentation how to use the
> evolution-data-server?

No, but I know a better place to ask ...

> Unfortunately, in fedora it comes without any docu (or at least I
> couldn't manage to find it). And Google is not informative as well.
>
> As I figured out from the sparse information it is a ldap compatible
> server for addresses and other pim data, which can be used by evolution
> instead of its internal database.

I don't think that is quite right. evolution-data-server *is*
evolution's internal database. However, by splitting it out as a
separate package from evolution itself, other applications can also use
evolution's data -- that is how come the clock applet knows what
appointments you have that day, and how Gaim and GnomeMeeting can use
Evolution's addressbook (or will do by the time FC4 comes out).

> I would like to connect to it from open office and use it as the address
> database.

I'm fairly certain that that is possible, as it was mentioned as one the
use cases when evolution-data-server was split out from evolution.

I think your best bet would be to subscribe to the evolution list:

Most of the evolution developers can be found there as well as many
knowledgeable end users. You're far more likely to find what you want
there.

Best, Darren