PCI failed to allocate mem resource error message

Crisler, Jon JCrisler at corvis.com
Thu Mar 17 21:28:41 UTC 2005

I have a user running Linux (Fedora Core3). The message appears after
the kernel starts booting.

The message states:

PCI Failed to allocate mem resource #0:1000 at 0 for 0000:03:00.0

I also have 2 other machines that show the same error on boot up:  all 3
are Dell 620's with dual Xeon processors (P3-866 or 933 mhz).  However,
the first machine is very heavily used for software development, and the
user complains that the machine crashes about once per day.  The others
do not have enough use on them to really stress the machine, so I cannot
say for sure if the boot error msg is the cause.

 In troubleshooting this problem, I have also seen the same message on
both FC2 and FC3.  I have also updated the BIOS rev to any of the last 3
versions, changed out the video card to a different brand i.e. installed
an Nvidia AGP card instead of the 3DLabs Oxygen cards, and played with a
few BIOS settings, all to no effect.

 I have found a few cases of the same message via Google, and they all
appear to be on Dell 620's.  In one case it appeared to be caused by
SmartD, but that had no affect on my machines.  Additionally, I also
have a few RH9 and RH WS 3.0 machines on the same hardware that do not
get the error.

Has anybody else run into this error? Thanks in advance.

The information contained in this e-mail including any attachments may constitute Corvis Equipment Corporation Proprietary Information that is subject to Non-Disclosure Agreement and cannot be disclosed to any other party without the express consent of Corvis Corporation.

If you are neither the intended recipient of this e-mail nor responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, note that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or retention of this e-mail is prohibited.

If you believe you have received this e-mail in error, we request that you notify the sender by return e-mail and then delete this e-mail and any return email immediately.