kernel boot parameter : init=/bin/bash

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Thu Mar 17 23:24:52 UTC 2005

lin q wrote:
> Hi,
>  I happen to find an interesting thing: if I add "init=/bin/bash" to the
> kernel boot parameter, then Fedora Core 1 quickly boots to command line
> bash, no GUI starts. And / is read only. And I works in single user
> environment.
>
>  Then I tried changing the parameter to "init=/bin/bash, rw", but this
> time the boot is like normal way, GUI starts, I am asked to log in, etc.
>
>  I wonder why it has so big difference with and without "rw"?
>
> Thanks.

It probably booted normally because what you had appended to the boot
prompt was invalid.  I don't think that having a space in there is legal.

To mount a / partition rw, do the following:

boot ... ... init=/bin/sh
mount /proc
mount -o remount,rw /

If you have multiple filesystems that need to be written to, repeat that
last command on their mountpoints.

Hope that helps
-dant