No sound. Intel 82801BA/BAM AC '97. revisited.

Edward edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 18 03:13:08 UTC 2005

Nat Gross wrote:

>> Ok, friends. It's time to sound off. (umm.. I mean sound ON. How long
>> can I go without sound?)
>> I have followed various threads about this but I have never got sound
>> with Linux on this machine, whose sound hardware is working under
>> dualboot Windoz.
>> Hardware: Dell 4500 with 82801BA/BAM AC'97.
>> OS: FC3 2.6.10-1.770
>> I have followed the advice as far as muting headphone and line-jack
>> sense, to no avail.
>> Also, when running the sound-detection applet, I have tried answering
>> yes or no, with no results.
>>
>> My /etc/modprobe.conf:
>> alias eth0 3c59x
>> alias eth1 dmfe
>> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
>> options snd-card-0 index=0
>> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
>> /usr/sbin/a lsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
>> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
>> }; /sbin/mo dprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
>> alias usb-controller uhci-hcd
>> -------------------------------
>

>> <snip>
>

> Seems like this is beyond help on fc3. Do I have a better chance with
> sound on FC4T1?
> Thanks;
> -nat

Just my 2c on this - I HOPE SO.

Sound is a major problem on FC3. I'm sick of having to work around it.
Why on earth the mixer has those weird defaults which simply don't work
is beyond me.

Basically the only way I can get sound to work is:

1> Detect the sound card.
2> Use alsa-mixer to unmute all and pump the volumes up to the highest
possible.
3> Use alsa save command to then save those settings.
4> Then in my rc.local I run the alsa restore command to load them up at
boot-up.

This is the only way I can get sound to work 100% of the time. If
there's an easier way I'm all ears, but why oh why does it have to be so
involved. I'm not a newbie anymore, so working around things is second
nature, but why do we have to? I did not have these problems in the
Redhat series, FC1 or FC2. You detected the sound card (or the
installer/kudzu did it) and that was it.

Admittedly I only have to do the above once for each PC I install FC3
on, but still.

I don't think it's worthy of a bugzilla, but if any Fedora developers
are listening on this list, bumping up the priority on making sound work
better on FC4 would be heaven for newbies methinks.

Regards,
Ed.