FC3 xmodmap not taking effect from xinitrc*

VB vboyt at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 07:21:28 UTC 2005

Theoretically, I should be able to disable Xkb
extensions in my xorg.conf, put a .Xmodmap file in my
home directory, and my keymapping woes should be
solved, right? BUT that does not work.  Nor does
anything else I've tried.  I've even directly placed a
call to "xmodmap <my dir>/.Xmodmap" at the end of
xinitrc and I've also messed around with the code
block in xinitrc-common that is supposed to run
xmodmap if xkbd is not in use. I know the code in this
block is running since 1) I have no customized xkb
files to cause the xkb blocks to be run and 2) I
tested with a simple "echo blah > <my dir>/out.txt"
and sure enough I get an out.txt file in my home
directory upon logging in. No placement of the xmodmap
statement works!

I know the .Xmodmap file is fine since I can manually
run "xmodmap <my dir>/.Xmodmap" and the keymappings
work but I need to have it automatic for annoyance
sake.

Any ideas??? Thanks