CD Support

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 18 08:39:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 21:55 -0700, JOHN H DURRANT wrote:
>   Thanks for the help from a couple of days ago.  I have made some
> progress in getting my CD to work with audio files.  First the good
> news.  The CD 'works' when I log in as root.  I look at the
> permissions of /dev/hdc and sure enough the owner (root) cad read,
> write and execute but the group and others can only read, not write or
> execute (hence can read data but not execute the CD Player).  So I log
> in as root and set the permission to 755 or 777.  Log out and log in
> as me and now the CD 'works'.  I reboot the machine and the
> permissions revert back to the original condition.  How do I get the
> permissions to 'stick'?

It appears that udev is not detecting your CD-ROM drive and setting up
the appropriate cdrom -> hdc link in /dev.

Try creating a file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-custom.rules containing the
following line:

BUS="ide", KERNEL="hdc", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="cdrom"

This should cause the correct symlink to be created, which in turn
should result in the hdc device having its ownership changed from root
to whoever is logged in at the console, enabling whoever that is to
access the device. Because the device is owned by that user, there is
then no need to alter the permissions.

> Now the bad news.  Even though the CD 'works', I can't get music out.
> I can rip a file and then play it from the hard disk but can't play it
> directly from the CD.  I have a cable connected from the CD to my
> sound card.  Could it be the permissions of my sound card?

More likely the CD-ROM audio input on your sound card is muted or has
the volume turned right down. Try un-muting everything on your mixer and
changing the volume on all the inputs.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>