Where is the script that does the automatic e2fsck's located?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Mar 18 06:29:40 UTC 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 22:57, Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer wrote:
>paul at city-fan.org (Paul Howarth) writes:
>> > are you guys gonna keep batting this around?
>> > man fstab
>> > see explanation on 6th field
>>
>> What has that got to do with forcing a filesystem check?
>
>Nothing but that wasn't the original question.
>
>> Gene doesn't want to disable the filesystem check, he just wants
>> it to be more verbose so it's clear that the system hasn't hung.
>
>Quote:
>"Filesystems within a drive will be checked sequentially, but
> filesystems on different drives will be  checked  at  the  same
> time  to  utilize parallelism  available  in the hardware."
>
>Meaning that (using Gene's config with hda and hdd), if you happen
> to have hdaX and hddY and that fsck starts to check them at the
> same time (or hdaX first), you won't see progress for hddY.

I'm not seeing any progress for /dev/hdd3, ever.  Having another
running at the same time on a different spindle has nothing to do
with the problem I'm reporting.

e2fsck apparently does its checks on the 9 or so partitions I have,
and the check line for the initial scan of /dev/hdd3 will end with
"check forced"

But, the silence is spooky when it says that, say 5 lines up from the
bottom of the e2fsck report on the rest of the partitions, nothing
else is indicated as needing or being checked, and no output from the
check running on /dev/hdd3 is displayed, and I mean none, no progress
bar, no electronic thumb twiddling, nothing, and the system, if you
don't hear the drive being hammered (and that drive is easily 20 db
quieter than the 120GB /dev/hda when seeking, so that is indeed
difficult) one gets the impression the system has hung because thats
a 180GB partition and it takes 5 to 10 minutes to check it.  Only
when its done does it print a final "OK" line.

Its this total lack of output when doing the check that bothers me.
And I believe that holds true also for /dev/hdd2, aka /var on this
system.  However, thats only 15GB, and may also show no output, but a
lag to check 15Gb isn't going to nearly so long and noticable, when
its only useing about 2.5GB of it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)