Linux is so cool!

Paul Almquist paul at almquist.name
Fri Mar 18 15:05:21 UTC 2005

On Thursday 17 March 2005 14:13, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:

> If I want a reboot And the gui is running, then the classic three fingered
> salute "ctrl+alt+del" gets me a confirmation pop up where  a quick enter
> (or a single click) will, (since I use startx to fire up x from run level
> three), get me out of the gui. I get a smiler effect (only faster {no
> confirmation pop-up) with "ctrl+alt+backspace"

ctrl+alt+backspace only kills the X server which will be automatically
restarted.  see:  /etc/inittab line for run level 5--usually the last line
> Once the gui is out of the way  "ctrl+alt+del" will cause an immediate
> shutdown -r.
>
> But if I simply want to shut it down, the fastest clean shut down response
> I've found so far, seams to work from any console or xterm.
>
> At the bash prompt I simply type "powerdown"

What I usually do is alter this line in /etc/inittab:
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

replacing the -r (for reboot)  with -h (for halt)

after making the change run "init q" to tell init to reread /etc/inittab so it
will know about your configuration change.

Then for a quick shut down press ctrl+alt+F1  (or f2-f6) to get to a text
console, then press ctrl+alt+del to shut down the system in an orderly way.

paul
--
Paul Almquist
paul at almquist.name