Make restore cds(dvds)

David Havery dhavery at pssclabs.com
Fri Mar 18 20:29:59 UTC 2005

I've been tasked with coming up with a way to essentially create a
'restore cd' for our systems. In reality, I would really need restore
DVDs, plural. The average sized system is appx 20gigs. The idea is that
when a machine is done, we can create a set of dvd's (bootable) that
will allow us to restore the machine to the way it was if something were
to happen to it.

The catch is that I cannot add hardware to the system, no tape drives,
no spare hdd's etc. So although I respect your opinions and options,
please don't turn this thread into a discussion about them.

At the moment, I'm concerning myself with only one ide(p/sata) drive,
tho we often use raid1 (shouldn't be an issue) and raid5 (I don't THINK
it should be an issue). The arrays don't solve our problem for two
reasons; all drives in an array could be damaged and the system could
become corrupt from configuration and administration but still sound as
far as data goes.

The restore should be able to restore to a bare drive (it's not
unreasonable to us to make the user create the arrays before hand).  The
drive may not be the exact same model/size.

Thanks for reading this far, and thanks for your future advice
dhh

--
David Havery
dhavery at psslabs.com