Make restore cds(dvds)

STYMA, ROBERT E (ROBERT) stymar at lucent.com
Fri Mar 18 20:44:30 UTC 2005

> At the moment, I'm concerning myself with only one ide(p/sata) drive,
> tho we often use raid1 (shouldn't be an issue) and raid5 (I
> don't THINK
> it should be an issue). The arrays don't solve our problem for two
> reasons; all drives in an array could be damaged and the system could
> become corrupt from configuration and administration but
> still sound as
> far as data goes.
>
> The restore should be able to restore to a bare drive (it's not
> unreasonable to us to make the user create the arrays before
> hand).  The
> drive may not be the exact same model/size.
>
> Thanks for reading this far, and thanks for your future advice
> dhh

If you are allowed to take the system down, boot the system rescue CD and
use partimage to compress and save the partitions accross the network to some
other machine running partimaged.  It breaks the backup into whatever size you
like pieces (700mb for CD, 2 or 4 GB for DVD).  You can then burn the DVD's
on the other machine at your leisure.

I am assuming that while you cannot mess with the machine to be backed up, you
can get a machine that you can put the DVD burner on.

Bob Styma