CD Support

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Mar 19 00:04:31 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 21:55 -0700, JOHN H DURRANT wrote:
> Hey gurus,
>
>   Thanks for the help from a couple of days ago.  I have made some
> progress in getting my CD to work with audio files.  First the good
> news.  The CD 'works' when I log in as root.  I look at the
> permissions of /dev/hdc and sure enough the owner (root) cad read,
> write and execute but the group and others can only read, not write or
> execute (hence can read data but not execute the CD Player).  So I log
> in as root and set the permission to 755 or 777.  Log out and log in
> as me and now the CD 'works'.  I reboot the machine and the
> permissions revert back to the original condition.  How do I get the
> permissions to 'stick'?
>
> Now the bad news.  Even though the CD 'works', I can't get music out.
> I can rip a file and then play it from the hard disk but can't play it
> directly from the CD.  I have a cable connected from the CD to my
> sound card.  Could it be the permissions of my sound card?

one of two things usually at play here.

1.  Does the CD have the audio cable to the soundcard (inside the
machine)?  If not it usually won't play.

2.  Sound by default is muted on Linux when you install
you can use alsamixer or aumix (or both) to unmute the volume controls
and make things playable.

BTW,  Please do not post HTML to this list. Many of us use text only and
that is a lot of bloat and unreadable at times.  See below.

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C52B3C.0C204240

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1>
<STYLE></STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.2604" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=3DMailContainerBody=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; =
COLOR: #000000; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; PADDING-TOP: 15px; FONT-STYLE: =
normal; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; =
BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; TEXT-DECORATION: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: =
none"=20
leftMargin=3D0 topMargin=3D0 acc_role=3D"text" CanvasTabStop=3D"true"=20
name=3D"Compose message area"><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"v" =
/><?xml:namespace prefix=3D"o" />
<DIV>Hey gurus,</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>  Thanks for the help from a couple of days ago.  I have
=
made=20
some progress in getting my CD to work with audio files.  First the
=
good=20
news.  The CD 'works' when I log in as root.  I look at the=20
permissions of /dev/hdc and sure enough the owner (root) cad read, write
=
and=20
execute but the group and others can only read, not write or execute =
(hence can=20
read data but not execute the CD Player).  So I log in as root and
=
set the=20
permission to 755 or 777.  Log out and log in as me and now the
CD=20
'works'.  I reboot the machine and the permissions revert back to =
the=20
original condition.  How do I get the permissions to 'stick'?</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>