Latest Gnome

Gerald Thompson geraldlt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 00:40:45 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:52:00 -0500, Chethiya K Ranaweera
<ckranaweera at gmail.com> wrote:
> Billy,
> Do u have any idea how to reinstall gnome packages? I am using fc3.

download all the rpms, and make sure you get them all from that site
http://www.nrpms.net/Latest.html

- store them all in a directory gnome in your home directory

su -
cd /home/user/gnome
rpm -Uvh *.rpm

that will upgrade your current gnome to the new one, it will also give
you an error if there is any dependency issues.

now you can try this if you run into a dependency problem:
- make sure you have your yum.conf set up with the one on fedorafaq.org
- PLEASE remember don't mix the rpmforge with livna/extras choose one
or the other but not both.  Personally I just go with livna/extras but
that is just a personal preference for the moment.  The rpmforge guys
have more packages but you should read their web sites to make sure
you set things up correctly.

- yum list "name of the item you need"
- if yum finds the program you need and the correct version you need
- yum install "name of package"

- if yum cannot find the right version of the package for your
dependency issue, go on the internet, find the package you need and
put it in the same directory /home/user/gnome

now try again
- log in as root su -
- cd /home/user/gnome
- rpm -Uvh *.rpm

- go to www.gnome.org if you are having trouble resolving the
dependency, you can probably find info about the package you may need.

Have fun, I am already looking into how to make my own RPM's so I can
just build them myself when I want to upgrade, its a bit daunting
though.  I will probably just use the rpms from that site also.

Gerald Thompson
geraldlt at gmail.com
www.geraldthompson.getdh.net
www.gltechsolutions.com