Using yum to update livna nvidia packages?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Sat Mar 19 01:42:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 08:50 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:

> What's happening now is that there is a new version of the nvidia
> module, which means that you need a new version of the kernel module for
> each of your installed kernels and a new version of nvidia-glx. Since (I
> think) there can only be one version of nvidia-glx installed at once,
> this means that all the updates need to be done in a single rpm
> transaction, and yum can't do that because it doesn't want to remove the
> older version of the kernel modules. That's why it's behaving
> differently this time.

Paul, this is just an FYI and to make sure that there is a permanent
record on the list archive of the answer to this: it was a packaging
bug. Peter released new packages today and yum update worked fine. My
memory wasn't playing tricks on me!

Your analysis BTW was partly correct. Yum was trying to update the
existing driver (nvidia-glx) and the kernel module (kernel-module-
nvidia-<kernel>) in a single RPM transaction, but something was wrong
with the newer packages which prevented them from properly obsoleting
the older version of the driver. The new packages seem to fix this
problem.

But, importantly, you *can* update an existing driver and kernel module
with yum. I'm not suggesting you said you can't, but a casual reader of
this thread might get that impression.

Best, Darren