FC3 hyperthreading problem on Pentium-4

Richard Hubbell richard.hubbell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 02:39:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 23:47:17 +0100, Horvath Andras
<andras.horvath at fizika.sze.hu> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a Pentium-4 machine with Hyperthreading support. Installer of FC3
> recognized it and made the SMP kernel as default. But the init process
> hangs up at starting cups. I have to use the single processor kernel,
> but I loose the hyperthreading functions of my processor.
>
> What should you advise me?

Build your own kernel.  It's not very hard to do.
Go to kernel.org
download a kernel tar.bz2
bunzip2
tar xf

cd 2.*

read the README (or INSTALL  I forget file's name)

make mrproper
make xconfig
(before you start it's nice to have a hardware list that you can
refer to)

make bzImage

when it's done it will tell you where the bzImage is
cp bzImage to /boot/linux.2.6.mynew.1

emacs /boot/grub/grub.conf

extra steps if you don't use initrd
you might have to change some things regarding udev
google.com->inurl:redhat.com udev

Good luck
Richard