Fork bombing a Linux machine as a non-root user

Paul Almquist paul at almquist.name
Sat Mar 19 05:38:43 UTC 2005

On Friday 18 March 2005 23:02, M.Rudra wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 17:14:48 -0500, Jeff Kinz <jkinz at kinz.org> wrote:
> > It is the responsibility of the local sysadmin to set the per user
> > resources limits to the level appropriate for local needs.
> > To fix this in all versions of BSD/UNIX/Linux even SCOrch:
> > Put "ulimit -u <N>" in one of the system wide start up scripts.  this
> > will limit each user to a maximum of "N" processes .
> > Make N is large enough for each user to run X-windows plus their
> > applications. 100 will do it for almost everyone.  Its pretty big
> > without being big enough to let a script run away with the system.
>
> Thanks, to all the replies.
> So I gather that other users can misuse only if they have physical
> access to the said machine ?  If its not a big security threat do i
> still need to setup user limits ?  At home its just my 'significant
> other', a musician :-) and me. We mostly use it for internet, and
> other general stuff.  When not online, we physically disconnect the
> wire as a precaution as i cannot lose my case studies and backup.  I
> would like to know other better methods to secure my machine.
> Thanks, --
> MR
Make sure you have off-line backup, not just a copy in another directory or
another partition, or on another internal drive.  Also off-site backup is a
good idea.  A friend had off-line backup sitting next to his computer.  His
house burned down.  Torched his computer and his backup.  Keep your backup
current.

--
Paul Almquist
paul at almquist.name