What is the best "Real Modem fof Linux" to buy

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Sat Mar 19 06:22:28 UTC 2005

Kumara wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am going to buy a modem. before that I appreciate your comments on this.
> what would be the most suitable modem for FC3? (for serial Interface). what
> is the brand and model. (Furthermore, I have an idea to experiment an
> answering machine on it.) How is US Robotics?

When I used modems I always liked USR external... they were (are?) real
work horses.

I have a Courier V.Everything, but I only use it for logging incoming
phone calls now (it has caller id capability)

If you want to use it for an answering machine app, check out the voice
capability of the modem, and you may want to get an internal modem
instead of external. (But try to avoid the "winmodems"... some of the
function is performed in software by the host computer.

Don Russell