Using yum to update livna nvidia packages?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Mar 19 10:37:04 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 01:42 +0000, D. D. Brierton wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 08:50 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
>
> > What's happening now is that there is a new version of the nvidia
> > module, which means that you need a new version of the kernel module for
> > each of your installed kernels and a new version of nvidia-glx. Since (I
> > think) there can only be one version of nvidia-glx installed at once,
> > this means that all the updates need to be done in a single rpm
> > transaction, and yum can't do that because it doesn't want to remove the
> > older version of the kernel modules. That's why it's behaving
> > differently this time.
>
> Paul, this is just an FYI and to make sure that there is a permanent
> record on the list archive of the answer to this: it was a packaging
> bug. Peter released new packages today and yum update worked fine. My
> memory wasn't playing tricks on me!
>
> Your analysis BTW was partly correct. Yum was trying to update the
> existing driver (nvidia-glx) and the kernel module (kernel-module-
> nvidia-<kernel>) in a single RPM transaction, but something was wrong
> with the newer packages which prevented them from properly obsoleting
> the older version of the driver. The new packages seem to fix this
> problem.
>
> But, importantly, you *can* update an existing driver and kernel module
> with yum. I'm not suggesting you said you can't, but a casual reader of
> this thread might get that impression.

They key may be in what yum decides is a "kernel" package and thus
"install rather than upgrade". I don't know how exactly yum makes that
decision. Perhaps it's just for a specific list of packages hard-coded
into yum, or perhaps it's for any package starting with "kernel-"? I
don't know.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>