DHCPREQUEST entries in system Log

David Niemi drn_temp2 at rogers.com
Sat Mar 19 11:38:26 UTC 2005

Over the last week I have 6 entries in my system logs for the
DHCPREQUEST on my FC3 PC.  It is hooked into my home network and has
the .190 IP address.  The FC3 machine is not running DHCP or any other
type of server applications that I know of, but is running Firestarter
trusting other PCs on my network but not .1.

The .1 address is my fireswall PC running Smoothwall which also handles
NAT an DHCP for my home network. On the Smoothwall PCs logs I see no
attempted attempted intrusions through the SNORT log.

Tried Google and searching the fedora-list archives but couldn't come up
with a satisfactory answer as to why I have these entries.

I have 3 of these entries below which occurred during reboots so I
understand these are just the PC obtaining a IP from the DHCP server
on .1.
Mar 14 12:33:00 Jenny dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255
port 67

I have 3 entries, one each on different days like this:
Mar 18 17:52:32 Jenny dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 192.XXX.XXX.1
port 67
Mar 18 17:52:33 Jenny dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.XXX.XXX.1
Mar 18 17:52:33 Jenny dhclient: bound to 192.XXX.XXX.190 -- renewal in
81026 seconds.

Are these entries just my FC3 machine renewing it's IP address with the
DHCP server, or could these be symptomatic of other problems on my home
network?

Thanks