FW: 2 sftp questions

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sat Mar 19 12:38:25 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:

>On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 06:30 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
>

>>Paul Howarth wrote:

>>>Does a user account of the same name exist on the remote machine?
>>>

>>yes
>>

>>>Does logging in to the remote machine as "root" work?
>>>ssh cj at 66.
>>>
>>>$ sftp root at 66.225.207.87
>>>

>>Yes. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I can log in as root, but not
>>as a regular user.
>>

>Can you ssh in as the regular user?
>
>$ ssh 66.225.207.87
>
>Paul.

Does it count if I do it locally? I mean on the machine itself? I'm at
home now, it's early morning here - I think you're in the UK, no?
Anyhow, I was able to ssh to my external IP on the machine itself. I'll
give it a try when I get to work, which will be in a few hours. One
other question - does it make a difference if I'm logged in as root or
user on the remote machine? Excuse me if this is too obvious...

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA