Fork bombing a Linux machine as a non-root user

Arthur Pemberton dalive at flashmail.com
Sat Mar 19 12:51:54 UTC 2005

>At our hospital we have a proper system with Linux servers and
>backups, staff use a windows-like software custom built to our
>requirements.
>Its the home connection that was attacked twice online so I want to
>install software to secure my home machine.
>
>This Iptable faq mentions that 2 ethernet cards are required to setup
>a fire wall.
>http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/networking/homegateway.html

You only need two ethernet cards if you're going to use that machine to
share the internet. If you're want a firewall, to give added saftety,
then one ethernet card, or none if you're using dialup, is perfectly ok.
And just so you know there are several GUI programs around to help you
setup iptables to suit our exact needs. However, Fedora comes with a
simple version of such a setup tool that may very well be enough to suit
your needs.

>Is there an alternative to iptables as i dont have 2 cards and how do
>i get my kernel version? if my kernel is below 2.4 version is there
>any other firewall option on Fedora.

do teh following command to get your kernel info:
# uname -sr

Iptables or similiar, should work on a pre 2.4 kernel. However I doubt
you have such an old kernel.