The Missing Fedora Manual

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Mar 19 13:22:01 UTC 2005

Don Russell wrote:

> I'm just not sure how this would fit in Fedora.... error messages don't
> appear to be very "standard".

You can say that again.
Most error messages in Fedora are completely useless,
since they don't give any idea of what action one might take.
Python errors are particularly futile.

I'm not sure of the idea of following the IBM system -
of which I am completely ignorant -
but I certainly think there should be some kind of standardisation
of error messages,
with a pointer wherever possible to appropriate remedial action.

This is one area where Linux is actually deteriorating.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366