Trouble with fedora

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sat Mar 19 17:38:54 UTC 2005

Ken Cooper wrote:

> Well, our cases are almost the same, and I believe the only difference
> is the motherboard.  Well, I have a soyo, and he doesn't.  I don't
> know which he has.  I know that does make a big difference.  I just
> have to guess it's the motherboard that's faulty, and will have to get
> a new one unfortunately!!!
>
>    Ken Cooper
>
> David Curry wrote:
>
>> Ken, you wrote earlier that your Dad's machine was "almost"
>> identical" to your own, but did not elaborate as to how they differed.
>> Do the two machines have the same bios version?

Ken, please follow a few list guidelines.  Insert your comments
immediately following the remarks you are responding to while deleting
text which is not needed to preserve thread context.  That is, please do
not top post.

In reading this message, keep in mind that I am an enduser with quite
limited understanding of linux and of hardware issues.

Your original message asserted that you know that your boot difficulties
are not related to the video card so I assume that both your machine and
your Dad's have identical video cards installed.  One possibile
explanation for your problem is that the video card memory on your
system has failed.  Another might be that your mobo (motherboard) has
onboard video, in which case you could try two different approaches.

Since you installed FC3 on your harddisk using your Dad's machine and
then ported that hd to your machine, the easiest and quickest approach
might be to disable the onboard video through your bios settings.
Alternatively, you could leave the bios alone, remove the video card
from your system and try reinstalling  FC3 using the mobo video.  This
latter case would also address the situation of bad video card memory.