Trouble with fedora

Ken Cooper coopercentral at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 18:26:37 UTC 2005

David Curry wrote:

> Ken Cooper wrote:
>
>> Well, our cases are almost the same, and I believe the only
>> difference is the motherboard.  Well, I have a soyo, and he doesn't.
>> I don't know which he has.  I know that does make a big difference.
>> I just have to guess it's the motherboard that's faulty, and will
>> have to get a new one unfortunately!!!
>>
>>    Ken Cooper
>>
>> David Curry wrote:
>>
>>> Ken, you wrote earlier that your Dad's machine was "almost"
>>> identical" to your own, but did not elaborate as to how they differed.
>>> Do the two machines have the same bios version?
>>>

> Ken, please follow a few list guidelines.  Insert your comments
> immediately following the remarks you are responding to while deleting
> text which is not needed to preserve thread context.  That is, please
> do not top post.
>
> In reading this message, keep in mind that I am an enduser with quite
> limited understanding of linux and of hardware issues.
>
> Your original message asserted that you know that your boot
> difficulties are not related to the video card so I assume that both
> your machine and your Dad's have identical video cards installed.  One
> possibile explanation for your problem is that the video card memory
> on your system has failed.  Another might be that your mobo
> (motherboard) has onboard video, in which case you could try two
> different approaches.
>
> Since you installed FC3 on your harddisk using your Dad's machine and
> then ported that hd to your machine, the easiest and quickest approach
> might be to disable the onboard video through your bios settings.
> Alternatively, you could leave the bios alone, remove the video card
> from your system and try reinstalling  FC3 using the mobo video.  This
> latter case would also address the situation of bad video card memory.

First off, sorry for posting at the top, I didn't know that.  And
second, when I FIRST got my computer, I knew my motherboard had onboard
video.  I wanted/intended to use it, because again it's just a server,
and don't need video that much, so I wanted to use the motherboard.  But
I couldn't install it with the onboard.  So I had to use my dads video
card, to install it, which I could.  This was FC1, not 3, which is what
I'm trying to get right now.  I am using my dads old video card right
now, and it won't even install.  I'm coming to conclusions that it's my
Soyo motherboard.  I tryed calling them before, but they just blamed it
on memory, so I had to spend $80 on memory that I DIDN'T need.  Well, I
had FC1 on it, and I didn't like it, because it kept freezing, so I
thought I'd try FC3, and NOTHING works.  So I think it's my motherboard,
but I just want to know what you guys think.  I don't have the money to
buy one right now, but maybe in a few years will.  Thanks!!!

    Ken Cooper