FC3 hyperthreading problem on Pentium-4

Richard Hubbell richard.hubbell at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 18:51:00 UTC 2005

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 04:18:57 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Am Sa, den 19.03.2005 schrieb Richard Hubbell um 3:39:
>
> > > I have a Pentium-4 machine with Hyperthreading support. Installer of FC3
> > > recognized it and made the SMP kernel as default. But the init process
> > > hangs up at starting cups. I have to use the single processor kernel,
> > > but I loose the hyperthreading functions of my processor.
> > >
> > > What should you advise me?
> >
> > Build your own kernel.  It's not very hard to do.
>
> Can you explain why? Or is it just "I build my kernel always my own"?

Explain why I build my own kernel or why building a kernel is not hard to do?

If it's the first question:

I have some non-standard hardware and like to build kernels just for that
reason.   Also the std kernels have too much stuff I don't need in them.
And usually I benefit from grabbing latest stable kernels.   And also I get
to see what snazzy new things the kernel hackers have added.  The linux
kernel evolves pretty quickly.  It still has some evolving to do but
it's getting
better all the time.

If it's the second question:

Kernel's are easy to build  because it's been made easy by the kernel
hackers.  It has to be
easy or no one would do it very often and that would reduce the number of people
willing to try a new one.   grub also makes it easy to revert if you screw up.
It could be made easier, I don't like the {x,g,menu}config very much.  I think
a certain amount could be made easier if someone figured out a way to derive
the hardware for the localhost and make selections based on that for a default
config.  That would make for fewer choices when you first start.  Of
course those
auto-choices could be changed.

Richard