Fork bombing a Linux machine as a non-root user

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Sat Mar 19 19:36:37 UTC 2005

Discussion in this thread frequently reflected an unwarranted,
underlying assumption.   Namely, that linux/unix experts are intalling
the OS, know how the system will be used, and act immediately after
installation to reset default installation resource limits to
appropriate levels. It is obvious to me from thread discussion that that
assumption is invalid.  Rather the discussion suggests many/some
respondents had the author's (and my) grasp of the resource limit
issue.  It is past time for the linux enthusiats touting linux as more
secure than windows to get acquainted with the result of parsing the
word assume into ass-u-me!

For OS distributors to work from a different assumption could benefit a
great many.   How much inadvertent aid and comfort is granted to data
thieves, malware artists and spam generators by the current practice?
How much inadvertent aid and comfort is granted to MicroSoft Corp. in
the form of adverse publicity from linux system failures?  It seems to
be that "best practice" could well be to issue distributions with
default installation resource allocations set to quite low limits that
would force system ops to set explicitly higher limits were warranted by
intended system use and for release notes to disclose what the default
installation resource limits are.

How many people on this list purchase automobiles with the expectation
of sitting in the driver's seat, turning the ignition key and start
forward at full throttle with windshield wipers on, head lights on at
high beam and the sound system blaring at top volume?  I predict the
answer to that question is zero!