Building an RPM file

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Mar 19 20:19:48 UTC 2005

On 03/19/2005 11:52:41 AM, Robert Spangler wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have decided that I would like to start building RPM's for
> different
> apps
> that I use.  Is there a good How-to out there that would take someone
> who
> knows nothing about this process to the finished product?
>
> Thnx

1) install existing src.rpm's and read the spec files
It's best to use Fedora or Extras rpm's, since they are scrutinized
before publishing and thus less likely to be just plain poor.

2) get the book "Red Hat RPM Guide" by Eric Foster-Johnson

It is absolutely the best guide to RPM I personally have ever seen.
Amazon carries it.

3) from Fedora Extras -
yum install rpmlint

You can run it on your src.rpm to check for errors and warnings.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/