Understanding partition labels...

cjlesh no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Sat Mar 19 21:49:06 UTC 2005

Hey all:

I'm trying to figure out a simple way to dual boot FC3 and rawhide...and ran into a problem with partition labels.

Could anyone point me in the direction of some reading material on the subject?  I can't seem to google anything useful...

Some basic questions...

How are partition labels set?
Can the be displayed from the command line?
Can they be changed once they are set?
What happens when there are two paritions with the same label?(I think this happened to me when I tried to install Rawhide).
Can I change fstab and grub to not use them?

Any help / info / links would be appreciated.

-cjl

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=51025&topic_id=12880&forum=10#forumpost51025