Motherboard Recommendations

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Mar 20 02:17:36 UTC 2005

On 03/19/2005 03:51:36 PM, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 18:43, Michael A. Peters wrote:
>

> > nforce 3 - for an amd64 cpu
> > I'm not sure if SATA is supported in FC3 install kernel, but I'm
> > guessing it will be in FC4 install kernel (I can't guarantee it) -
> but
> > you can always install to ATA and use SATA for your data drives if
> > installing to SATA is an issue.
> >
> > I personally prefer Asus boards, always had good luck with them.
>
> I recently built a system using an Asus P5GD2 deluxe mother board.  I
> used only SATA hard drives on that system and was able to install
> FC3.
>
> The DVD drive is a normal IDE ATA type drive.  I received
> recommendations to not use a SATA DVD or cdrom drive as support is
> apparently problematic at the moment.

It's the nforce3 chipset that I think might have issues with fc3 - not
SATA in general. I *think* nforce3 SATA works in current kernels
though, so should work post install of fc3 (after kernel update) or in
fc4. Not positive, I don't have a 64-bit machine, though I'm looking at
building a shuttle for much the same as the OP wants (it'll do
slimserver, local mail, caching dns, and probably local yum server)

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/