Fork bombing a Linux machine as a non-root user

Jephthah jephthahG at comcast.net
Sun Mar 20 04:53:04 UTC 2005

How about we just turn all linux distros into idiot-proofed windows
clones for the masses.

Then we can set about standardizing the whole mess into one final,
irrefutable distribution.  Lets call it LINUX, INCORPORATED.

We can have the whole thing dumbed down to the point that it can only
surf the web and send email (without attachements), and maybe make an
office document two, but god knows don't let 'em use any macros.

Jesus.

On Saturday, March 19, 2005 7:30 PM, David Curry still won't quit:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2005-03-19 at 13:36, David Curry wrote:
> >

> >>Discussion in this thread frequently reflected an unwarranted,
> >>underlying assumption.   Namely, that linux/unix experts
> are intalling
> >>the OS, know how the system will be used, and act immediately after
> >>installation to reset default installation resource limits to
> >>appropriate levels. It is obvious to me from thread
> discussion that that
> >>assumption is invalid.
> >>

> >No, the assumption is that the person installing the OS,
> expert or not,
> >knows more about it's capabilities than the person who built the
> >distribution that will run on anything from a P100 or less to a
> >multi-cpu, multi-Ghz box.
> >
> Your interpretation would be much better supported if there was some
> documentation available to that "person installing the OS" which
> informed them of the default installation settings and
> advisability of
> resetting for specific installation characteristics.

Blah blah blah... snip.