Fork bombing a Linux machine as a non-root user

Felipe Alfaro Solana lkml at mac.com
Sun Mar 20 05:14:55 UTC 2005

On 19 Mar 2005, at 20:43, Jonathan Berry wrote:

> I would highly suggest buying a hardware NAT router.  You should be
> able to get one very inexpensively, the non-wireless ones are very
> cheap now.  Of course, to use this, you must use broadband and connect
> to the internet through your network.  That is, if you have a
> cable/DSL modem connected to your computer with an ethernet cable.
> The NAT router should protect you very well, even Windows boxes.
> Granted, it is hard to get through, but not impossible.

Although NAT provides some kind of protection to inside hosts, since
they use martian, non-routable addresses, it creates more problems than
it solves: mainly, it breaks tne end-to-end paradigm of IPv4 and forces
the creation of kludges like NAT-Traversal, encapsulation of PPP over
UDP/IP for L2TP tunnels, UPnP and many other extensions to cope with
them.